Sunday, August 15, 2010

Planting a Tree in Your Honor.

Whenever I think of "wedding favors" I think of that chalky pastel colored candy in a white mesh bag tied with plastic bells.

I would always try one, thinking maybe I'd like it at this wedding.

It always got tossed as soon as I got home. 
(In the compost, that is.)

So, it got me thinking about what kind of favor would be better for the planet... and more appreciated by guests. 

Two years ago, I went to a wedding where they made a charitable contribution in lieu of favors.  I thought that was a great idea.  And then with this "tree centerpiece" blog last week, I thought, "Hey,  why not give guests a tree they can plant which would offset their carbon emissions too!"

But with a lot of guests from out of town, do they really want to pack a tree in their bags?  Probably not.  Furthermore, trees are specific to certain regions.  Do we get a different tree for my cousin who lives in Alaska and then another one for my grandparents in Florida?

Now I'm just creating unnecessary stress.  And all brides know that if you can avoid extra stress, do all you can to keep it that way.

Instead, the Arbor Day Foundation is going to help out.

For a dollar each, the Arbor Day Foundation's "Trees in Celebration" program will plant trees in one of our national forests to commemorate any special occasion.  Even better, you can have that tree dedicated "in honor of" each guest.  The Arbor Day Foundation provides certificates which are printed on recycled paper from sustainable sources.


My friend Stefanie had another great idea:  put the certificate at each table setting in lieu of placards.

I think we have a favor-winner!


And P.S., as a dentist's daughter, did you really think I was going to give out candy?  :-)

No comments: