Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Green Thumbed Bride

With a May wedding, you would think my choices of "in-season" flowers would be bountiful.

Think again.

My hydrangea-set heart withered in disappointment to learn it's actually a summer flower.

And while I know I could have hydrangeas if I really wanted them, I'd like to stick with in-season flowers as my eco choice.
Here's why:

- It upholds the "shop local" philosophy.

- You know exactly where they came from and can ensure they are pesticide-free.

- It minimizes carbon emissions from shipping.

- It's less expensive.

A website I stumbled upon to aid with my in-season flower quest is The Flower Dictionary. It's a terrific resource for discovering lesser known flowers that will adorn your day nicely.

Also, a potential wedding project that's equally eco and far more economical:
 Start a flower garden of your own that will sprout your bouquet and remain a keepsake long after the wedding bells have chimed... 

And although it may cost you a manicure or two, the end result would most certainly earn you a green thumbs up!

No comments: